KYLE HAYTREAD'S SPICED CARROT CAKE WITH PAN ROASTED PECAN NUTS AND A CREAM CHEESE WHITE CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
Try this yummy spiced carrot cake as baked by the winner of The Taste Master SA Season 2 – Kyle Haytread on our Festive episode.
Ingredients for the carrot cake sponge:
- carrots washed, peeled and finely chopped – 400grams.
- pecan nuts finely chopped – 250 grams.
- eggs whole and free range – 4
- light golden brown sugar – 440 grams.
- good quality extra virgin olive oil – 160 grams.
- sea salt – a quarter teaspoon.
- vanilla essence – 1 teaspoon
- mixed spice – half a teaspoon
- plain flour – 200g
- Royal Baking Powder -1 teaspoon.
Ingredients for the icing:
- icing sugar 440 grams.
- 180g of cream cheese
- butter at room temperature 90grams
- lemon juice half a teaspoon.
- melted white chocolate 30 grams
Method for the sponge layers.
- using a thermomix, add the carrots and chop until fine.
- Add the pecan nuts.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Add the golden brown sugar and combine ingredients.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil.
- Add all dry ingredients and combine.
- Pour mixture into lined baking tins (8 inch) and bake at 180 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Allow the cake sponges to cool.
Method for the Icing.
- In the thermomix combine the icing sugar and butter.
- Add in the melted white chocolate.
- Once creamed together, add in the cream cheese and lemon juice.
- Assemble the cake by generously sandwiching each cake layer with the cream cheese buttercream and garnishing with pecan nut praline as well as seasonal fresh berries, edible flowers and fruits.
For the pecan praline:
- 50 grams of toasted pecan nuts.
- 75 grams castor sugar.
- 1 cup of water.
Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan, allowing it to caramelise on the heat. Once the sugar solution reaches a light amber colour, add in the pecan nuts and pour out the contents onto baking parchment, allowing to cool and set completely.