USU (TRIPE) AND UJEQE (STEAMED BREAD) RECIPE
Enjoy a traditional meal of tripe (Usu) and steamed bread (Ujeqe).
- 1kg Usu (Tripe)
- 1 Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon of your choice of curry powder
- 1 Teaspoon of mixed herbs or any herbs of your choice
- 5 Bayleaf (Leaves)
- 1 Green Pepper (Finely Chopped)
- 15ml aromat
- 1 Teaspoon Crushed Garlic
- 4lt of Water
- Wash Usu thoroughly until it’s cleans.
- Place Usu in a pot and add 2 litres of water. Boil for two hours.
- Add Onion, Green Pepper, Garlic, Herbs and Aromat.
- Simmer on medium heat for another 2 hours. Keep adding water if all liquid evaporates.
- Once meat is tender, serve with Ujeqe (Steamed Bread).
Ujeqe (Steamed Bread)
- 300 g cake flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix (all the dry ingredients together) flour, sugar, yeast and salt with your hand.
- Add cooking oil and water.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes until the dough doesn’t stick to your hand.
- Allow the dough to rise by covering it with a cling wrap or clean dry cloth Place it in a warm like area for an hour or until it’s double in size.
- Place the dough into a clean, greased enamel bowl.
- In an empty pot, place 1 jug of hot water and place the enamel bowl with the dough in the water (the water must not reach the top of the enamel bowl, it must always be below half.
- Let it steam for an hour, keep checking the water and make sure to add more as it boils.
- Once a skewer inserted comes out clean, take out your Jeqe and put it aside to cool down.
- Once cool, take it out the enamel bowl and cut into slices.
- Serve with Usu (Tripe).