UMLEQWA (HAND RAISED CHICKEN)
Also called Hard body it tends to be tough because it is a free range, it cooks longer than the supermarket chicken, the flavour of this chicken is unsurpassed!
Recipe by Dorah Sitole
- 1 whole hand raised chicken, cut into portions
- 750ml (3 cups) water
- 2 cubes chicken stock
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 10ml (2 teaspoons) curry powder
- 1pkt cream of mushroom soup
Place chicken portions in a large heavy based saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil. Add chicken stock cubes, lower heat, cover and simmer gently for 2 hours. Replenish water if necessary.
Add onions, green peppers, mushrooms and potatoes, season with salt, pepper and curry powder.
Simmer gently for a further 30 minutes, add more water if necessary.
If stew needs thickening, dissolve mushroom soup in a bit of cold water and add to the stew.
Continue to simmer until chicken is soft and falls off the bones. Serve on Ting, Pap or idombolo.